There are several key verses in this passage. The first one is verses 3 &4 which says There is no speech nor spoken word from the stars: their voice is not heard. Yet their voice goes out through all the earth, their sayings to the end of the world. Of the heavens has God made a tent for the sun.
David makes some connections here about creation and God's Word. He talks about how the heavens declare the glory of God and in verses 3 and 4 how the stars don't speak but that it is obvious they had a creator. If you are being honest with yourself as you are looking at this world and everything in it, you have to admit that there is a creator. God made everything and He made it perfect and right. This is the connection between His creation and His word. His word is made perfect and right.
In verses 7-9, David talks about different adjectives to describe God's Word: restoring, wise, right, a rejoicing heart, pure and bright, enlightening of the eyes, clean, enduring forever, true and righteous. I think this is really interesting because I would agree with this even though I never really thought about giving God's word a description before.
After David makes these connections between God's creation and His word, he talks to God about his sin and what he wants His word to accomplish in his life. I think this is really good.
I think His word is so valuable to a child of God because it helps to understand who God is, it protects and it does all of the things that David described it to do. If I was broken and someone had the means to get me fixed, the source that would heal me, I would do anything in my power to get to that. This is the same way. As a sinner, I struggle. I struggle with life, with my sin, with other people's sin around me, I struggle with materialism, anger, bad thoughts, an unclean heart. I want to go to the source that can heal of these things. The source is God and His word.
In verse 11, God promises great reward for those who keep His word. I think that keeping His word is reading it, meditating on it, asking God to reveal it and use it in our lives. The reward I believe is going to be bigger than we could have ever imagined: a heart of gold.
God's word is more valuable than anything we could ever imagine. The most precious things in our life do NOT compare to His word. His word is a lamp unto my feet and a light for my path (psalm 119:105). I mean this is huge, if His word can change me and guide me to be more like Him, that is valuable!
I think that too many people feel that following God's word is a burden. I mean I think of being a teenager and hating my parents' rules. I thought it was a pain to have to obey them and do what they say. Not to mention that I wanted to do what I wanted to do. I didn't want to answer to anyone. The truth is that they had my best interest at heart. I mean they weren't always right but they wanted what was best for me. The difference here is that God is ALWAYS right. He has His best interests for us plus He is all and knows all. So, it really shouldn't be a burden.
Sometimes things happen in our lives and later down the road we look back and think, wow, if I knew what I know now, I would have never done those things. This is exactly why God's word is there. He wants to protect us from having to go through all the pain and trials.
There have been many things in my life that have been changed by the word of God. The most recent one would be finances. I never really knew that God had specific things to say about our finances. My husband and I have been in a lot of debt these last couple years. It has been rough living from paycheck to paycheck. God has taken care of us and provided for us (needs) in the midst of our bad money habits. Our church did a series a few months ago on what God's word says about finances. Ever since then we have been trying to live by His word and what he says in this area of our life. I can't even begin to tell you all of the blessings that we have received in doing this. We are not completely out of the water but we are getting there. I am so excited! And it is so freeing as well. There has been several things as well that have been eye openers for me. One more personal thing is that as a teenager I knew that God wanted me to save myself for marriage. I thought that it was because having multiple partners was well, dirty. Through God's word I learned that He was protecting me. He was protecting me from pregnancy, STDs, giving my heart away, sharing something so special with someone other than my husband, loss of not sharing that with husband, heartache, rejection, and so much more. There are so many other things as well that I have learned through being in God's word.
Those adjectives that David uses to describe the word of God, I want to be part of me. I am making several commitments to make this happen. I am committing to be in His word everyday and write about it in this blog, make time, not be hard on myself when I fail but look at it like each day is a new day, and to see it as a privilege.
It is almost like when you first start dating someone you really like. You want to get to know them better and you want to spend tons of time with them-- this is how I want to see God. The more I am in His word, the more this is true in my life.
Some things that I want to admit to that isn't honoring to God. I have an anger problem. I think that I hold my feelings in too much and then it builds up to the point of explosion. I yell a lot. I yell when I'm anger, frustrated and my kids especially don't deserve that. As you can see my mouth gets me into a lot of trouble. Not only do I yell but I say mean and nasty things to my husband, I even call him names. I gossip sometimes, and because I don't like confrontation, I'm not honest with people when they walk all over me, hurt my feelings, or treat me badly.
Heavenly Father,
Help me with these things in my life that are not of you. I want to be more like you. You have told me right here in Psalms 19 that if I meditate on your word and keep it, I will have great reward. This great reward that you speak of is sure to make me more like you. This is what I crave so badly, I want to love like you love, trust like you trust. I want to be clean, restored, true and most of all righteous. Thank you for providing for us and all that you do. I love you!
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment