Day 1: Psalm 1

I have been thinking lately about starting a blog but I never knew what I would write about.  Today it dawned on me that I NEED and want to spend more time with my God.  I try to make time but it is hard being a Stay At Home Mom of two little stinkers.  There is so much responsibility and chores involved.  I love my family and I am so blessed to be able to stay home and raise my boys myself but where in the world does the time go??  There just isn't enough time in the day.  So, today I have decided to start this blog along with a goal.  I would like to push myself to spend time in His Word everyday for the rest of the year.  Today is Feb. 2, 2010 so if I did my math correctly that gives me 333 days left for my goal.  I will record what God is teaching me on a daily basis. 

Today I started reading Psalm 1.  I started here because I am a member of this website called baby center (http://community.babycenter.com/).  I joined a group that is doing a bible study on the Psalms.  Anyway, I opened up my bible to Psalm 1 and started reading about God's promise that we will be blessed if we meditate on His Word day and night.  He compares this kind of person to a tree that is growing next to a river.  This tree is producing much delicious fruit and it is because it is getting such a rich and filling drink of water from the river.  It is the same in my life.  When I am choosing to take the time to spend with God and in His Word, I get such a rich drink of His Spirit.  This is what produces fruit in me.  I want to be blessed.  I want to produce fruit.  I want my eyes to be on Him who loves me and created me.

In Psalm 1:6 it says that the Lord knows and is fully acquainted with the way of the righteous.  I believe that the characteristics of a righteous person are the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22), which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.   A righteous person avoids the desires of the flesh and the world.  A righteous person would be focused on God and His Word.  Taking moment by moment to seek the desires of God's heart.  This is drinking that rich and filling water.

This tree near the river is drinking from it always.  A righteous person does the same thing.

I believe that people's choices and lifestyles reveal the true condition of their hearts because their actions reflect their heart.  If you are honestly serious about a relationship, you work at it.  You can talk all you want about what a great person or friend someone is but if you are not working on the relationship or involved in some way, there is no relationship.

Sometimes I get frustrated with my kids and yell at them.  I gossip occasionally.  I smoke cigarettes on and off.  I have a bad attitude at my husband sometimes.  These are not righteous characteristics.

I know that if I make time everyday for God's Word, I will be transformed. I was doing this for awhile about a year ago and God was teaching me and speaking to me daily.  I don't know how I stopped because I know that I craved that time with Him but somehow I did.

So, here I am making this goal today to do this on a daily basis. 
Day 1:  I'm committing my time to you, Lord.  I am going to spend this time in your Word, asking you to show me truth and give me wisdom.  Make me righteous and help me to produce the fruits of the Spirit.  Help me to do this on a daily basis.  No matter what life brings to me and how chaotic it can get, I still want to meet with you.

Comments