Day 18: Genesis 1-2:3

The Story of Creation...

When have you sensed that there is something bigger than you?

My dad LOVES nature and he would take us on nature centered vacations growing up.  No matter where we went, it was obvious that the places were different from Wisconsin.  We went to Florida, out West: Arizona and Colorado.  I knew there had to be a God that was so extremely creative.  In Wisconsin, all you see is green.  Then you go to Arizona and it's desert but the rustic brown color is absolutely breath-taking.  Colorado is so gorgeous.  The beach in Florida is beautiful.  Then I went to live in Africa and I experienced several different countries, it was just another confirmation that God is creative.

If God created everything, do you think he could be interested in the details of your daily life?  

Well, the first thing that pops into my head is that the animals of the field, which He created were/ are always taken care of. God cares for the birds.  Of course He cares for me.  He made me in His own image.  He created us on purpose.  It wasn't an accident.  I think about my own children and how I'm interested in every single detail of their life.  They are my children as I am His child.

After reading Genesis 1-2:3, do you find it hard to accept the story of creation?

No, it's not hard to accept the story of creation because the God I know, can do all that.  Each person, each animal is unique; every place, every culture is unique.  How could that just happen?  There had to be a creator.  

What does this account reveal about God?

I believe that God wanted His creation to be filled with beauty and fullness just as He wants for our lives.  He wants us to be fruitful, which in turn makes us beautiful.  I don't think God would have been satisfied with just any creation.  

How does the creation of humankind differ from the rest of the account?

God wanted to make mankind in His (their) image and give us the honor of taking care of His creation.  He trusted us (even when He knew we would fail).  

Some people take the story of creation not literally but say that the important part is the "who" and "why".  Some people take the story literally, that God created just exactly as it says He did.  Others believe that God could have used evolution as His method of creation.  Even others believe in evolution whole-heartedly while leaving God completely out of the picture.

Of the different views on the creation of the world, which makes the most sense to you? 

For me, I've always thought that it really wasn't important how God did it but just that He did it.  I don't feel that I need to know all of the details, just the important ones.  To me, it just makes sense that God spoke all in existence just because I believe God is big enough to do that and what an amazing story it makes.

How important is it to you to know how human beings came into existence?  

I know that God made us and He made us in His image.  That is all that really matters.

What has reading and discussing this creation account meant to you?

It's beautiful.  I like the creation story much better than the thought that we all were created accidentally with no real purpose, to vanish and never be heard from again.  And just think- if the latter is true, I don't lose anything but if the creation story is true and I don't believe it, I lose eternity with a maker that really put thought and care in creating me, who adores me and wants a real relationship with me (I have butterflies in my stomach).

Comments