Everyone's life is driven by something.
Many people are driven by guilt.
"You will be a restless wanderer on the earth." Genesis 4:12
"What happiness for those whose guilt has been forgiven!... What relief for those who have confessed their sins and God has cleared their record." Psalm 32.1
Many people are driven by resentment and anger.
"To worry yourself to death with resentment would be a foolish, senseless thing to do." Job 5:12
Many people are driven by fear.
"Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life--fear of death, fear of judgment--is one not yet fully formed in love." I John 4:18
Many people are driven by materialism.
Many people are driven by the need for approval.
"No one can serve two masters." Matthew 6:24
There are great benefits of living a purpose-driven life:
Knowing your purpose gives meaning to your life.
Without God, life has no purpose, and without purpose, life has no meaning. Isaiah wrote, "I have labored to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing." (Isaiah 49:4) Job said, "My life drags by--day after hopeless day" (Job 7:6) and "I give up; I am tired of living. Leave me alone. My life makes no sense." (Job 7:16)
God says, "I know what I am planning for you...'I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you hope and a good future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
"God... is able to do far more than we would ever dare to ask or even dream of--infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts or hopes." Ephesians 3:20
Knowing your purpose simplifies your life.
"A pretentious, showy life is an empty life; a plain and simple life is a full life." Proverbs 13:7
"You, Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in you." Isaiah 26:3
Knowing your purpose focuses your life.
"Don't live carelessly, unthinkingly. Make sure you understand what the Master wants." Ephesians 5:17
"I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead." Philippians 3:13
"Let's keep focused on the goal, those of us who want everything God has for us." Philippians 3:15
Knowing your purpose motivates your life.
Knowing your purpose prepares you for eternity.
"Remember, each of us will stand personally before the judgment seat of God... Yes, each of us will have to give a personal account to God." Romans 4:10b, 12
The Bible says that God will ask us two crucial questions:
1. "What did you do with my Son, Jesus Christ?"
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
2. "What did you do with what I gave you?"
Living on purpose is the path to peace.
For me, this chapter pierced my heart. God really spoke to me. I would love to believe that I am driven by God. That when I wake up in the morning I look to God for answers and for a personal connection, then that continues throughout the day. In fact this is definitely my goal but I do not come close in achieving it. God showed my that I am definitely driven by the need for approval. When I think of myself, I don't think of me being one that really cares what people think. I don't make decisions based on what others think. But, God really showed me how much of a people pleaser I am. This is the same thing though. When I read Matthew 6:24. I do not want to have two Masters. God is the most important person in my life. I want Him to be the leader of my life. Why do I care what others think? Why do I always try to please everyone? I believe that I take the first commandment to heart. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it, Love your neighbor as yourself." I know that God wants us to love others. He wants us to show others how He loves us. This is what I try so hard to do. I mean I really try to keep my heart in the right place when it comes to others. I love people. I love sharing with others, serving others, and just loving others. Apparently, I have taken so much of my time to "love" others where I should be loving God. I think sometimes I would rather please someone than to actually serve and love them. My heart isn't in it. I need to learn to say no. I need to learn to spend more time with God than trying to please others. The greatest commandment is to love God and then to love others not the other way around.
God,
Please help me to know when I am doing this. Please show me in my heart that I am putting you second. Help me to see that I am just pleasing instead of serving. Show me God what and how you want me to change. I am here, ready and willing. I'm sorry that I do this Lord. You don't deserve this from you. You deserve all of me. I want to be your servant. You put me here on earth and this is your story, not my story. I am here for one purpose and it is to serve you. Tell me where you want me to go Lord. Thank you for all of the opportunities that you give me God. I love you!
These thoughts and comments were taken from the book, The Purpose Driven Life written by Rick Warren.
These thoughts and comments were taken from the book, The Purpose Driven Life written by Rick Warren.
Comments
Post a Comment